Monday, July 12, 2010

Stars...

Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.
 ~ Harriet Tubman

Night on the Riverbank
Pastel on paper
1999

I found this fabulous quote over at 74 Lime Lane.  I think I may have to make room for it on my side bar….Rather fitting for a purple dream chaser don’t you think?

As I searched through my files for a suitably “starry” image to add to this post, I came across this pastel from many many years ago. It’s from back when we were young and free and spontaneous!

Every now and then we would gather our friends late on a Saturday afternoon and head down the river in canoes. Just before dark we would pull over on a suitable looking bank, build a fire and spread out our swags. You can’t fit much in a canoe beyond a swag and an esky full of food and alcohol (or alcohol and food as the priorities fell in those days!). It was such a perfect, simple way to spend an evening, with great company, lots of star gazing and thoughts of another leisurely paddle in the morning.

What great memories…

8 comments:

  1. Simple, happy times. The best kind. I was remembering camping trips I used to do with my best friend this morning.

    The quote is great, and the artwork really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the perfect evening to me and your pastel drawing is divine as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous. I think this is my favourite so far. The light is so peaceful and the stars do look like they're shining. Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a gorgeous match to the quote. It's a great inspiring quote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the stars in your painting so much, they sound like lovely times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just love this picture and the story with it. We've just spent a week on the Caledonian canal and had the weather been better this is what we would have seen each night.
    Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What lovely memories to have .... and what a gorgeous picture to go with them!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. starry starry night~~~~~ paint your palette blue and gray~~~~~
    Oh it gives me such a peaceful star gazing moment !

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by and for leaving me a comment. It brightens my day!